The Newcastle District Golf Association in its program covers a great number of functions.
Six matches are played with other District Associations, on a Home and Away format in alternate years.
Matches are played against the Hunter River, Central Coast and Lower North Coast Associations annually.
The Lower North Coast event is played for a shield named after Les Evitt who was a patron of the Association in the past, and the Hunter River match is played for the P.R. West Shield named after a past-President of the Association.
The match played against the Central Coast Association is for the Arthur Mollett Cup. Arthur Mollett was an official of the Brisbane Water Association and was the presenter of the Cup.
The NDGA also has an annual match for the David Wood Trophy which is played alternatively (every 2 years) against the Illawarra and ACT-Monaro DGA’s.
The NDGA also holds a Schoolboys and Schoolgirls Championship.
The Association also runs a District Senior Pennant Series, a B Grade and C Grade Pennant Series and a Junior Pennant Series that are all very keenly contested. Each is run in two divisions.
At the completion of the Senior Pennant Series the Association's major annual dinner and presentation evening is held where all the Clubs and their supporters enjoy the pleasure of an evening out amongst all of their friends and fellow competitors. A separate annual dinner is held for the B and C Grade Pennant series.
The Districts main event is the District Championship. Players in the event must be members of a Club within the District Association to be eligible for the title. In conjunction with this Championship a Junior Championship is also held. The winner of this title must also be a member of a Club within the Association and must be under the age of 18 years on the date of the Championship.
One other important event run by the Association is Association Day. This event is held for the benefit of Golf Club directors and gives them an opportunity to play with directors from other Clubs. Games are generally arranged so that the players play with directors from other Clubs who have similar roles, i.e. Match committee, House committee, Presidents or Treasurers etc..., Secretary Managers and Greenkeepers of Clubs are also invited to take part. The day combines a pleasant outing with an enjoyable dinner and provides some reward for the time and effort spent by directors to promote golf.
The other major event held during the year is the District Mixed Foursomes Championship which is organised by the Newcastle-Hunter District Ladies Golf Association Inc. This event is fully supported by the Newcastle District Golf Association who provides sponsorship towards the event.
History of the Newcastle District Golf Association
1908 The first move was made to control and organise golf in the Northern Districts of New South Wales when an Association was formed known as The Northern Golf Association. It comprised all Clubs between Newcastle and the Queensland border. The only local Clubs at this stage were Newcastle, situated at Hamilton, and Waratah at Mayfield. The main purpose of this Association was to organise the playing of the Annual Northern Championship on the links of the Newcastle Club.
1914-19 World War 1. No competitive golf.
1919 A new Association was formed known as the Newcastle and Hunter River Golf Association, embracing all Clubs in the Hunter Valley and the Newcastle Districts. The local Clubs were still Newcastle (moved to North Stockton in 1915) and Waratah Club. As with the Northern Association the main object was the playing of the District Championship.
1922 Waratah Club moved to Cockle Creek. The Steelworks Club was formed and admitted to the Association, using the land vacated by the Waratah Club at Mayfield.
1925 The Hunter River Clubs decided to withdraw and form their own Association. The three local Clubs namely Newcastle, Steelworks and Waratah decided to form the Newcastle District Golf Association.
1934 The Brisbane Water Clubs applied for affiliation. A sub-Association consisting of Gosford, Wyong and Terrigal Clubs was set up under the control of the N.D.G.A.
1935 The Hamilton Club (Situated on the Newcastle Racecourse) was admitted to the Association.
1936 Merewether Club admitted to the Association and Steelworks moved to the Shortland site.
1939 Macquarie Club (situated at West Wallsend) granted affiliation.
1941 Hamilton Club disbanded. Brisbane Water Clubs withdrew and formed their own Association.
1946 Macquarie Club ceased to operate.
1949 Muree Club (at Raymond Terrace) granted affiliation.
1954 Belmont Club granted affiliation.
1961 Kilaben Bay Club granted affiliation.
1962 Tomaree Club (name changed later to Nelson Bay Golf Club) granted affiliation.
1968 Sugar Valley Club (at West Wallsend) granted affiliation.
1972 Kilaben Bay transferred their course to Wangi Road, Toronto and changed their name to Toronto Country Club.
1974 Hillsborough - Charlestown Club granted affiliation.
1977 Tea Gardens - Hawks Nest Club granted affiliation.
1982 Tanilba and Districts Club granted affiliation.
1983 Karuah Club granted affiliation.
1995 Horizons Club granted affiliation
The Palms Club granted affiliation
Hillsborough - Charlestown Club changed their name to Charlestown Golf Club.
Tea Gardens - Hawks Nest Club changed their name to Hawks Nest Golf Club.
1998 Nelson Bay Golf Club opened their 27 hole complex.
1999 The Newcastle District Golf Association became legally incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act of 1984
2000 Steelworks Golf Club changed their name to Shortland Waters Golf Club.
Beresfield Men's Golf Club granted affiliation.
2005 Pacific Dunes Golf Club granted affiliation.
2016 The Palms Golf Club ceased to operate
2017 Beresfiel Men's Golf Club ceased to operate
Viney Creek Golf Club granted affiliation